April is here, and do you know what that means? It’s tax return season! I’m so excited for you guys who are receiving a refund! But wait just a second before you rush out and spend that refund on new furniture or a big screen TV. You have a real opportunity here to boost your financial situation. Imagine what peace that would bring!
I would love to share a few ideas for you to consider spending your tax refund on. These items will really help you get where you want to go in life!
- Get current on your bills. Ladies, here’s your chance! If you are not current on your bills, use your refund to make them current ASAP. The security you will feel is priceless!
- Fund your emergency fund. If you follow Dave Ramsey’s principles, you probably are familiar with the $1,000 baby emergency fund he advocates for. While getting out of debt, this fund will help you not accumulate even more debt. This will help you reach your goals so much faster! We currently use Ally Bank to house our emergency fund, and their APR is now at 2.20%.
- Pay down your debt. Whether you use the debt snowball (paying your debts from smallest to largest) or the debt avalanche (paying your debts from highest to smallest interest rate) method, deciding to use your tax refund to pay your debts is a huge investment in yourself! You want your money to be earning money, not the other way around. If you are out of consumer and student loan debt, attack that mortgage!
- Stop the paycheck to paycheck cycle. You have got a fabulous opportunity here! Would you like to stop living the paycheck to paycheck life? Use your tax refund to pay for next months obligations. Before you know it you will be a month ahead, and living paycheck to paycheck will be a thing of the past.
- Invest. First of all, I’m not a financial advisor, and doing your own research if deciding to invest is crucial. But wouldn’t you like your money to start earning you money? Yes! Sending your tax refund to an investment account will likely do that if you give it time to grow and you do your reasearch. I’m partial to low fee mutual funds and ETFs. The Simple Path to Wealth is a must read in my opinion when it comes to investing.
So, there you have it! What are you planning to spend your tax refund on? We sent a chunk to our mortgage, and replenished our emergency fund after repairing a driveway flooding issue.
I hope your week has been fabulous so far!
This post includes affiliate links at no cost to you.